Incredible Years is a 14 week programme usually running for 2 hours per week focusing on, Play, Praise, Effective Limit Setting, Using Ignoring Strategies, Using Time Out.
The Incredible Years Programme has two long-range goals:
The first goal is to provide cost-effective, early prevention programs that all families can use to promote social, emotional, and academic competence and to prevent children from developing conduct problems. The second goal is to provide comprehensive interventions for parents that are targeted at treating and reducing the early onset of conduct problems in children.
Strengthening Families is an eight week programme for any family with young people aged 10-14. The programme helps families with young people to prepare for the teenage years and offers a relaxed and friendly environment where families can learn and have fun together.
The courses consist of seven two hour sessions where parents and carers and their children work together and separately. The emphasis is on:
- building nurturing skills,
- placing boundaries,
- reinforcing messages that all behaviour has consequences,
- developing positive relationships,
- enabling communication,
- supporting young people in developing skills to enable them to cope with stress and peer pressure
- helps protect against substance misuse
The Parent Factor – ADHD
The Parent Factor programme is for parents / carers who have a child (ren) who has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder. It focuses on the specific parenting skills and knowledge that are required within this context. The programme has four main aims:
- To increase parents knowledge of ADHD and its treatment
- To give parents insight into how it feels to be a child with ADHD
- To give parents advice on how to promote a more positive relationship with their child
- To educate parents on strategies for effective behaviour management
If you would like any further information on any of the Parent Support Programmes please contact:
Senior Parenting Practitioner
Early Intervention and Social Care
Newcastle City Council
Phone 0191 2759636 ext 2019
Fax 0191 2654726